Welcome to Shelburne Falls Yoga
Online Classes with Kate Pousont Scarborough Continue This Winter & Spring
Please join us, and help support Shelburne Falls Yoga!
Shelburne Falls Yoga is still going strong. While our beautiful new studio on Conway St. awaits our eventual return, we're keeping the momentum going with online classes available in two formats: live or recorded. Join SFY Director Kate Pousont Scarborough live via Zoom to experience the class in real time and connect with your classmates (your camera and microphone use are optional, so no need to be seen unless you'd like to be). Registration links for each class are available below. If your internet or schedule doesn't allow for the live attendance, you can still participate! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a video link to view at your convenience.
Online Class Schedule:
- Mondays 9-10 am: Intermediate Kripalu Yoga - a moderately paced class appropriate for many levels, this practice includes, meditation, warm-ups, and standing & seated postures, with an emphasis on breath, attention, and safe, easeful movement. Click here to sign up for Monday classes.
- Tuesday 6-7 pm: Yin Yoga- This gentle class has been shifting toward stillness as the days grow shorter. It includes some gentle warm-ups, an occasional movement-based posture, and a long yin yoga sequence. This restful and restorative practice is suitable for beginners and all-levels. Click here to sign up Tuesday classes.
- Wednesdays 9-10am: Vinyasa Flow - a lively and challenging yoga experience, this class emphasizes a balanced and attentive approach to vinyasa flow, with core sequences and seated postures also included. Previous yoga experience recommended. Click here to sign up for Wednesday classes.
- Fridays 9-10 am: Gentle Kripalu Yoga- a favorite of beginners and experienced practitioners alike, this class emphasizes a coordination of breath and attention with gentle, flowing movements as well as seated, supine, and restorative postures. Click here to sign up for Friday Classes.
30 Minute Individual, Sliding-Scale, Online sessions with Kate are also available. This is a wonderful opportunity to check in about personal goals and progress, and to receive feedback about your postures or other practice questions. Email email@example.com to register. $25-$35, sliding scale. Longer sessions are also an option.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email just once, with the link and password needed to access all future meetings of that particular class. Please keep your confirmation email for future use! Please read below for payment information and a list of frequently asked questions relating to Zoom.
I miss you all, and the studio, AND I'm very grateful for the opportunity to connect with you from my sunny home "studio". While video teaching wouldn't have been my first choice, I'm enjoying the opportunity to to explore and grow in the practice of yoga with you in this new format. Online classes will continue until such time as we are able to safely return. (See more details about reopening plans below.) Please reach out if you have any questions, and I'll be happy to work with you to find a class option that meets your needs. For those who prefer low-tech, I am able to send audio files of our classes. I've even burned a CD and dropped it off to a student with no internet access, so don't hesitate to reach out if you're in need of alternative ways to stay in touch!
Shelburne Falls Yoga serves students of all levels, ranging in age from 5 to 95. Everyone is welcome here! Our beautiful studio overlooks the Deerfield River and Salmon Falls, and our dedicated and experienced teachers are committed to helping you work toward greater health, well-being, and self-awareness through skilled instruction in yoga, movement, and meditation.
We actively foster an environment in which your goals, needs, and intuitive wisdom take precedence over external performance or conforming to outside instruction. We value the process of inquiry and honor the multi-faceted, ancient, and evolving tradition of yoga. Compassionate self-observation is at the core of our offerings, and we engage in an ongoing exploration of how this core can be extended outward in acknowledgement of the collective needs of our shared world.
Our studio is a beloved place of respite and community gathering for many, where you will also learn and practice skills in body and mind that can serve you in your health, work, and relationships throughout your lifetime. We hope you will join us!
Phased Re-Opening: A Plan in Progress
- We will not resume “normal” operations until such time as everyone who wants a vaccination has had the opportunity to receive it. I, and other SFY teachers, will be in the last wave, and we will still be vulnerable even when the majority of students are protected.
- All current Zoom classes will continue until we reach that point of vaccinations for all who want them (plus other markers of significant improvement/herd immunity.) Once we do return to “normal”, I plan to continue with one weekly Zoom class & recording (likely Thursday mornings) for out of town folks and others who need or prefer this option.
- Until then, I anticipate a phased re-opening, returning to the very small (4-5 students) & very distant (15ft.+ apart) class idea, with masks for all to protect the unvaccinated, once it is warm enough to open the windows. There may be an outdoor class in the mix as well. This could be as soon as late March.
- A limited number of one-on-one yoga clients may resume in person in late March as well, but masks will need to be worn by all parties until vaccinations have been completed in the region. (I will not be resuming Zero Balancing Bodywork until next Fall at the earliest.)
- During this interim phase, which may last through the summer, I will be requesting that anyone who travels outside of New England refrains from visiting the studio for a period of two weeks in order to help reduce the risk of spreading variant strains that have not yet gotten a stronghold here in MA.
- I will be updating this plan, as needed, as new information emerges. I’m hopeful that we’ll practicing together again by the end of the third quarter of 2021, if not sooner. Until then, let’s do all we can to minimize the spread of the virus and protect those who haven’t yet had the opportunity to vaccinated!
- Click here to read the Yoga Teacher’s Pledge to Covid-19 Safety I co-wrote with my colleague Christie Roe.
We at Shelburne Falls Yoga stand in solidarity with the Black community and the Black Lives Matter movement and acknowledge the active oppression and systemic racism that has thrived in this nation since its earliest days of colonization. We mourn the loss of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, Ahmaud Arbery, and the countless other lives ended as a result of pervasive, ongoing racism and anti-blackness in the United States.
As a predominantly white organization serving a predominantly white community, we acknowledge our participation, however unwitting, in this dynamic of oppression and encourage our community to understand how white supremacy has shaped our society on every level, regardless of individual beliefs.